Jun 7, 2011

come to mommy!

By Katharine Grubb

Our new home’s back yard had only a fenced perimeter and an old oak tree. My one-year-old daughter, Ariel, was like a newborn colt, jumping and running in unhindered joy, despite the fact that she had no toys, no sandbox, no playmates. 

As an insecure Mommy, I was often baffled at my responsibility for her. And today, I fretted over the barren yard. How do I entertain a toddler without toys, swings or a sandbox? How do I frolic with her when I tire so easily? I watched her, helplessly slumped into a lawn chair, five months pregnant with her sister.

I had an idea. I told her to stand along the chain link fence, facing me. I lazily sat in my chair and shouted to her, waving my arms in an air traffic controller fashion.

I shouted, "COME…TO…MOMMY!"

Giggling, she ran toward me and crashed into my arms. I scooped her into my lap, covering her with kisses.

"Let’s do it again!" Her smile spoke volumes.

So we repeated the whole game. Back to the fence. Wait for the signal. Listen. Take off running. Crash! Hugs! Kisses! A tickle this time! Off we go to do it again!

I didn't think much about the game after that day. But as the summer progressed, we played it often. She could have played it for hours.

Two summers later, when baby Miranda was walking, she joined in the fun. I was stronger and able to do far more, but that didn’t matter. The swings could wait. Come To Mommy was preferred.

Two summers later, their little brother Corbin toddled into the game. When we played this time, each child had to take a turn. The combined force of three kids could have knocked me off my lawn chair. When it was all said and done, I had five little ones scrambling to be next in line.

What I didn’t know was that this was far more than a game. This was a built-in training device, a signal that told them it was time to come. This was the signal that told them it was time to obey. When the children grew, and I took them to more adventurous places than our backyard, I could wave my arms in the same pattern and everyone would know it meant Come to Mommy now! This was a practical tool in my mommy arsenal; it worked everywhere. I was astounded by my own brilliance. I was managing my brood with something fun.

Moms of toddlers, you can do this too! Practice at home, in the living room or in the backyard, and train your little ones to run into your arms with a signal. Don’t forget the hugs, kisses and tickles once they get there. Then, when you’re at the playground and the other moms are screaming for Junior to come, all you have to do is wave your arms.

"COME…TO….MOMMY!”

And your well-trained toddler will run to you.

And hopefully line up to play it again.



Anna Hamman

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by! Our hope is that this section can be a place for us to collaborate and dialogue together.

If you have a question, or would like a response back, please make sure and leave your email address.

We appreciate your comments!