Jun 3, 2011

“Anonymous. Jesus’ hidden years and yours” (A book by Alicia Britt Chole)

By Anna Hamman 




I recently finished reading the book,  Anonymous. Jesus’ hidden years and yours.

This book took me some time to read---not because it’s long, but because it is full of truth that I found I needed to mull over one piece at a time. It is the kind of book that I could read several times and still find it teaching me and reminding me of how to realign my focus. I found it particularly applicable to me as a new mum, having moved from a busy working life, to now full-time parenthood, where most of my time is spent at home and sometimes wondering about my identity and what I should be doing next.

Essentially it is about the seasons in our life when we are not in the public eye or as “ successful,” where we find ourselves in a quieter less “celebrated” season---and what we can learn during these times. The author suggests that these can be rich seasons in which we grow closer to God and stronger in character.

Alicia Britt Chole looks at Jesus’ “hidden years” and how he handled temptations, challenges and trials over many years of anonymity, which helped him be obedient even unto death in order to save us and to please God.

She uses the analogy of the iceberg.

“Through chattering teeth, arctic scientists inform us that only one-eighth of an iceberg is visible. As much as 90 percent is submerged in the unseen. Because of their enormous mass, with that proportion, icebergs are virtually indestructible.

10% visible + 90% unseen = indestructible life

The most influential life in all of history reflected the iceberg equation. Ninety percent of his life on earth was spent in obscurity. Ten percent of his earthly life was spent in the public eye. And all of his life was and still is absolutely indestructible”

Alicia discusses in depth the temptation of Jesus in the desert and how he responds to it. She refers to Deuteronomy 8:2-5, taking ideas straight from that scripture. She says that God sometimes leads us into deserts:

  • To humble us 
  • To test us 
  • To know what is in our hearts 
  • To see if we will keep his commands 
  • To teach us to depend on him, and 
  • To discipline us as children

This is not a gripping novel or a “make you laugh” read, which is why I usually never choose to read a book like this. I usually run from titles like this and others such as “ Celebration of Discipline” etc. Most often I like to escape from my life rather than face it and be challenged to work on areas, however something drew me to this book and I found truth in it. It isn’t written in a judgmental or condescending way but rather a reflection on Jesus’ character and how we can learn from him. I feel like I have a long way to go in learning and growing the patience, self control and trust in God that Jesus has, but this book helped me look at my more anonymous season as a time to work on these things. And for that I am strangely thankful.

2 comments:

  1. This looks like a great book, Anna! Thanks for recommending it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This book sounds very interesting, and I, too, am guilty of steering clear of books like this. It definitely sounds like it is worth checking out!

    I can also relate to you wondering about your identity and purpose as a stay-at-home mom after going from a full-time career. I try to remind myself that there is no greater purpose in life than raising Godly children, and many moms do an amazing job of this while working of course. But for me, I just treasure the time I have with Abigail and fight the feelings I sometimes have of wondering if I am making a difference in the world because I am making a huge difference in the world of my child.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! Our hope is that this section can be a place for us to collaborate and dialogue together.

If you have a question, or would like a response back, please make sure and leave your email address.

We appreciate your comments!