Jul 7, 2011

teachable moments

By Julie Wilson

This last week my family received some heart-breaking news. My sister, who was 14 weeks pregnant, lost her baby. This was her second miscarriage and just as difficult to understand as the first one. I myself lost two babies, and all of my sisters have as well. Unfortunately, we all understand the devastating loss and deep sadness that accompanies a miscarriage.

When my brother-in-law called me to tell me he was taking my sister to the hospital, I immediately got off the phone and started praying. It was early in the morning, so my two oldest had already headed off to school, and my little girls were still upstairs asleep. I was praying through my tears and pleading with God to not let my sister lose another baby. I had to compose myself enough to call the rest of the family, letting them know so that they all could be praying for my sister.

When I got off the phone with my youngest sister, I heard my little girls upstairs stirring. I went upstairs to talk to them about what was happening. I could not hide my fear. They saw me crying and hugged me, comforting me. We stopped right then and there in the bathroom to pray. I wanted my little ones to know how important it was to include God in that moment.

We got the news later in the day that my sister had, in fact, lost the baby. I had to tell my two oldest children when they got home from school. We were all terribly sad. But I knew I had an opportunity to teach my children about God’s love and peace in this moment.

I have recalled verses from Psalm 34 through this:


I will extol the Lord at all times, his praise will always be on my lips…I sought the Lord and he answered me; he delivered me from all my fears. The righteous cry out, and the Lord hears them, he delivers them from all their troubles. The Lord is close to the brokenhearted and saves those who are crushed in spirit.
I want my children to know that even though this happened, we still trust and believe that God is love. We may not understand why this happened, but I want my children to know that in times like these, it is even more vital that we turn to God and not away from Him.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by! Our hope is that this section can be a place for us to collaborate and dialogue together.

If you have a question, or would like a response back, please make sure and leave your email address.

We appreciate your comments!