Aug 8, 2011

A tip for making baby food: ice cube trays


By Anna Hamman


I realize baby food and feeding in general are often sensitive topics; organic vs. non-organic, breast milk vs. formula, store-bought vs. homemade. I also realize that different things work well for different people, and that all children, families and budgets are different. I am, therefore, not about to proclaim that this is the right way or “the answer.” This is just a tip that helped me. 

I decided that from the beginning I would like to make the majority of my baby food when my baby started eating solids. It worked out to be cheaper for us and I hoped it would be somewhat healthier for her. I do not love to cook, however, so I wanted to find an efficient way of doing it. Someone gave me the tip of steaming vegetables and fruit, blending them to make purees in bulk, and then freezing them in ice cube trays. After they are frozen, you then empty the frozen blocks into zip lock bags or containers and label them to go back in the freezer.

Each time my daughter had a meal I would microwave defrost one or two of those blocks, and there you have it: a meal that’s healthy.

Now I tend to make new purees in bulk once every two weeks when we run out of food or variety. She still has fresh things in between and snacks like yogurt and crackers but her dinner comes from these frozen blocks. When she gets more teeth we will continue to move on to chewier and more solid items.

I think this system helped me feel more organized and was simple for me. What kinds of ideas help you get organized with baby and toddler food? Do you have simple healthy recipes for babies or toddlers? Please share.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by! Our hope is that this section can be a place for us to collaborate and dialogue together.

If you have a question, or would like a response back, please make sure and leave your email address.

We appreciate your comments!