Aug 30, 2011

meet: Kelly Hubert, part 1


Kelly Hubert is a country girl who currently lives in northern Illinois with her never-a-dull-moment husband, Jake, and their two girls Livia Grace (4) and Finley Faith (2). In addition to being a mom, her other jobs include Pilates instructor and childcare provider at the local YMCA, foundation Creator and President, and blogger. She is most passionate about her family, her faith journey, running/exercising, creating/crafting, and their Foundation.

Her story is pretty much like anyone else’s - she grew up happy and dreamed of marriage and a family. Everything seemed to fall into place like she hoped it would - she married a great guy, they both had good jobs, they were raising two little girls. And then they received news every parent dreads – their daughter, Livia, was diagnosed with a terminal, un-treatable genetic disorder called Sanfilippo Syndrome. She prayed, looked for more information and then took action, creating Liv Life Foundation. Through it, she hopes to spread awareness and raise funds for research, and she wants to help others facing similar battles. The Foundation has given a purpose to her pain, allowing her to do what she believes God set out for her to accomplish.




How are you using your strengths to bless your family? The ability to recognize my uniqueness and that who I am as a person contributes to this world in a positive way blesses my family, especially my kiddos. It has taken me a long time to become comfortable in my own skin. I feel like I have a unique perspective on life that has given me focus and determination to do good. I want my girls to grow up loving themselves for who they are, to live their lives pleasing no one but God. I also recognize that one of my strengths is the time and care I put into my family. Because my family is my priority, I know how important it is to take time for myself. This time enables me to take care of myself, which in turn, makes me a better mom and wife. Living a healthy lifestyle contributes to the all around well-being of this family.

What do you wish you were better at? 
Praying. This is something hard for me to admit. I’ve struggled with this for a long time. I pray, but I don’t feel like I pray enough. I catch myself praying when things are bad, but not when they are good. I need to offer praise and not always pray for help or forgiveness. We all have busy lives - putting the Lord first, keeping my kids and hubby happy, doctor’s appointments, running a foundation, training for a marathon, and on and on. What helps influence our success as a Christian parent is how we choose to respond to the busy-ness and how we prioritize things. 

Describe your perfect day
My perfect day would start out with my house being clean and picked up, coffee made, and blueberry pancakes with my kids and hubby. Then, I would get my run in and shower in peace. I’d then be kid-free for a bit, have lunch with girlfriends and do a little shopping (OK…A LOT, if this is my perfect day!). Mani, pedi, and massage with my sister. Then meet up with Jake and the girls for some dinner at a hibachi restaurant.


Do you have a specific vision for your family that's beyond just surviving the day? If so, how do you keep your vision in all the chaos? 
Absolutely! Truth be told, surviving the day is definitely crucial. However, having goals and dreams for a bright future help with that survival. I feel like I’ve been given “new eyes” for our future. Having a glimpse of what our future looks like with Livia has given us a new perspective on what life and everyday living should look like. My vision for my family, which helps in the chaos, has taught me not to sweat the small stuff and to teach my children to the best of my ability. The rest will be up to them. My vision may not be the same as what they will want for themselves. I pray that they will make the right choices and become contributing members of our society and live a life serving our Lord. I want our family to be a giving family. I hope our family, and our story will help others find encouragement, God, and hope. 

Are there any routines that you’ve incorporated into your daily schedule that help foster faith formation in your children? 
Any opportunity that I get to teach my children why we are here or why the grass is green and give all the credit to our Savior, I take it. My kids are at the age where every word I tell them is something they believe to be true. Having that foundation of faith within myself, and with my husband, has helped foster that faith formation in my children. We attend church on a regular basis and we pray together as a family at meals and before bedtime. 

Do you have any practical tips that you have found especially helpful in managing your household? 
A schedule. We thrive on our daily routines. My kids like the routines, and they know what to expect. They are also at an age where, if that routine is broken, they won’t break. My kids still nap, but if we make plans to go somewhere or do something out of the routine it still works. Like I said before, I take some time for myself every day. Join a local gym or YMCA that offers daycare. Exercising to start my day only makes the rest of my day go better. There’s something to say about endorphins! They are my drug of choice! J

I don’t feel bad about turning on the TV or putting in a movie if something HAS to get done. My girls get my attention for the majority of the day, so if I need to clean something, fold some laundry, or fill out some paperwork, I do it! I’ve found that procrastinating over things that need to get done only makes things worse.

Ask for help. This is something that I really struggle with! It’s something that I should have included in the question above. Especially having a child with special needs, I find it hard to ask others for help with anything. I don’t want to burden anyone OR have to explain why my child isn’t potty trained or why she doesn’t sit still. Delegating anything is hard for me. Maybe it’s a control thing, but I really think it’s more of the latter. I have learned that my spouse is my ally in this thing called life. He and my family are my support system.


Read part 2 of her interview on Thursday

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by! Our hope is that this section can be a place for us to collaborate and dialogue together.

If you have a question, or would like a response back, please make sure and leave your email address.

We appreciate your comments!