Aug 22, 2011

HELLO, LIBRARY? THIS IS TODDLER! LET’S BE FRIENDS! How To Enjoy Your Library With Your Little One

By Katharine Grubb

One of the silliest things I did as a new mother was take my two month old to check out children’s books at my local library branch. I took them home, and read them to her. I had seen it in every parenting magazine that reading to you child, even your infants was important.

Honestly? After the first book, I felt ridiculous. Babies that small don’t need books. Instead, I talked non-stop to her (to develop those language skills) and we waited until she was a bit older to go to the library.

When my baby became a toddler, and had a baby sister, we went back. This time the purpose was to bring picture books home, look over them repeatedly and take them back to discover new favorites.

I knew, with time, that this would instill in my little girls a love of books and an interest in the world around them and hopefully make them life-long readers. We’ve gone to the same branch---with the same librarians---for the last eleven years and it’s become an extension of our home in some ways. The very goals that were mentioned in those parenting magazines are met: my kids are enthusiastic readers.

How does one start at the library? How does one go from first-time visitor to old friend?

1. Make the library a habit. The same day every week, or once every two weeks. Your toddlers will grow in their affection for books, the outing and time with you!

2. Bring A Bag. It is tricky to juggle a child, a purse, a stroller and a pile of books. Besides, you always check out more than you think you will. My personal record is 88 books. And I have two huge canvas bags.

3. Chat with the children’s librarian. It is her job to help you find with you need. If you have a good relationship with her, then you will get the most out of your library experience.

4. Start slowly. Toddlers only need two or three board books checked out at each visit. Don’t force their interests; let them develop naturally.

5. Look for books about those pet subjects. My daughter has checked out all the wildcat books dozens of times, even the ones that were too hard for her to read. My son did the same for the penguin books. This makes their library time more positive, allows for them to think about books as familiar friends and encourages them in their reading when they’re ready.

6. Have a plan, like alphabetically. Kids’ picture books are often alphabetized by the author’s last name. Start with the first five book that begin with A. Move on to the Bs when you’re ready.

7. Or, concentrate on one author per month. You can’t go wrong with H. A. Rey, Lois Ehlert, Steven Kellogg, Rosemary Wells, Margaret Wise Brown, Robert McCloskey, Chris Van Allsburg, Eric Carle, Virgina Lee Burton, Jan Brett, Don Freeman, and James Marshall. There are hundreds of great authors out there. If you need more suggestions, try Amazon.

8. Take Your Time. Rushing adds to stress, stress often makes noise. Libraries are supposed to be peaceful. If your visits are peaceful, then that will remind your child that this is a positive experience.

9. Limit the DVDs. That’s the first thing my kids want to check out, but I am always reluctant to do so. The main reason is that they are due in a week, while the rest of our books are due back in three weeks. This little fact had caused me to pay far too many fines because I forgot to renew the DVDs. I also want for my kids to see the library as a place for their minds. The latest Spongebob DVD doesn’t do much for that.

10. Check out the events. Libraries put a lot of energy into book discussions, story hour, lecturers, art shows, and kids programs. Take advantage of them. You’ll meet people, learn more about your community---and most of the time, they’re free!

11. Take advantage of online catalogs. Loved The Very Hungry Caterpillar but can’t find The Very Grumpy Ladybug on the shelf? A library’s online catalog is often system wide and can get titles for you to be held at your local branch. This is one of my favorite tools for educating my children.

12. And, get something for yourself! If your child sees you read, they will be far more likely to follow in your footsteps.

Now, thirteen years later after that first trip, all five of my children love going to library. They have their favorite titles and their favorite librarians. And all of them have a love of good books.




1 comment:

  1. this is a great post. my daughter is just on the cusp on being able to really enjoy the library. i'm excited, as the weather is cooling down, to venture out to the library regularly.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! Our hope is that this section can be a place for us to collaborate and dialogue together.

If you have a question, or would like a response back, please make sure and leave your email address.

We appreciate your comments!