Nov 17, 2011

Christmas, Advent Conspiracy Style

By Karen Brown

If you are like me, every year the holidays manage to sneak up on you. Despite my best intentions, I end up a little frantic trying to get it all done - whatever the elusive “it” and “done” are! I vow to start earlier next season and have fun with the shopping and making of gifts so they really are things I get to do and not things I dread.

I am already getting messages in my inbox and hearing ads on the radio for pre-Black Friday sales and specials. When I start to hear those, it almost feels like the starting gun of a race that I am not quite prepared to run – as if, in my head, the race starts on Black Friday, but then they change the start time on me. This year I am going to embrace Christmas even though it’s not yet Thanksgiving; I am going to begin to at least think intentionally about how we celebrate and the ways we give.

One of the things our family hopes to do each year is it participate more fully in Advent Conspiracy. It just makes sense to us to strive as a family and church body to worship fully, spend less, give more and love all.

Starting next week, Life After Sunday will be highlighting ways to celebrate Christmas, Advent Conspiracy style. Everything from shopping Fair Trade, to homemade gift ideas, organizations that promote social justice for the oppressed and new family traditions honoring the birth of our Savior. We want to continue to be inspired by the ideas of those around us. We would love to hear from you! If you are interested in guest posting during this series, please send us your thoughts and ideas. I’m excited to collaborate as we together redeem Christmas as Good News for all!



[AC] Promo 2011 from Advent Conspiracy on Vimeo.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by! Our hope is that this section can be a place for us to collaborate and dialogue together.

If you have a question, or would like a response back, please make sure and leave your email address.

We appreciate your comments!