May 27, 2011

1 Kings 17

By Julie Wilson 

I home school my two youngest girls, who are in third and first grades. Recently, Jonah has been studying the story from the Bible, found in I Kings 17. A widowed mother is down to her last bit of flour and oil, only enough left to make one small loaf of bread. Elijah comes along and asks the woman to first make him some bread and give it to him before she and her son eat. I’ve heard this story before, but this time it really struck me as we read it. As a mother, I don’t know if I would have the compassion that this mother did to give away some of the food that was intended for my starving child. Especially to a stranger whose God I did not know or believe in! If my child were hungry, I would want to do everything I could to provide food for them. The thought of giving away the very nourishment that could help save my child from hunger is one that I cannot comprehend. Yet, Elijah promises her that if she fulfills his request the Lord will not let her flour or oil run dry until the day the Lord sends rain. And this is exactly what happens. God blessed her compassion and willingness to share with another who was in need. I pray that God will help me to have a heart that would be so willing.





1 comment:

  1. such a good reminder to pray for compassionate and generous hearts...especially in light of the recent tragedies in missouri & alabama. i'm sure thesse people are relying alot on the love of strangers during this time.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! Our hope is that this section can be a place for us to collaborate and dialogue together.

If you have a question, or would like a response back, please make sure and leave your email address.

We appreciate your comments!