Mar 12, 2012

A Confession

By Karen Brown

photo by Tyra Bleek


The kids were on my last nerve. They were being unkind and disrespectful. I don’t remember the last straw, but I yelled at all of them and sent them to their rooms. I was frustrated, impatient and angry. I was tired of repeating myself and breaking apart their sibling rivalries.

I was so quick to judge their behavior as sinful and condemn their actions. Treating others unfairly, disobeying, exercising zero self-control. What would their punishment be? How would I choose to discipline them? As I sat on my bed in silence thinking, it quickly became apparent that in those moments preceding, I had failed as a mom. I had not modeled at all the character traits I try so desperately to instill in my children. How was my response and behavior any less sinful than theirs? Did they deserve the punishment of quiet time- absolutely. But what about the way I chose to raise my voice to them in anger, committing the same sins I had just admonished them for? It was hard to ignore the plank in my own eye. We were all in tears and in need of forgiveness.

photo by Tyra Bleek

I love that my Savior wipes the slate clean each day. That we are new every morning and given the chance to reconcile each day. I love that for my children and I love that for myself.

Grace covers a multitude of sins!


1 comment:

  1. All too true. Sibling disagreements are just beginning in this house and it feels so unfair to my kids that I am learning how to deal with it at the same time they are. I often feel so discouraged at how quickly I lose my temper and don't live what I expect from them. It is so encouraging to read this perspective on it.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! Our hope is that this section can be a place for us to collaborate and dialogue together.

If you have a question, or would like a response back, please make sure and leave your email address.

We appreciate your comments!