Mar 2, 2012

75 Books that Build Character

By Karen Brown

Our family reads together every night. Not a lot of things compare to snuggling up under a blanket with the kids and a book. It’s funny how they have favorites they insisting on reading over and over and over again. You know the ones where you skip a line and the kids correct you. Those are by far the most well loved.

I stumbled upon this blog post recently and found it too good not to share. It’s a list of 75 books that build a child’s character. This is an objective list, but we are always on the hunt for new suggestions and favorites. I kind of figure if I am going to be reading to them anyway, it should be something with some substance. Something that helps drive home the values and character traits we are already trying to instill in our children. Something that teaches them lessons about things like diversity, individuality, fairness, and being open-minded.

At our local library, you can reserve books online. I’m excited to grab this list and place some of these on hold. Then, the next time we go to check out books, these are added to the pile. (Brilliant for people like me know will never remember to bring the list along.)

Share with us. What are some of your favorite children’s books or authors? Do have ones you remember reading as a child?



No Time for Flashcards via Apartmenttherapy.com/family

3 comments:

  1. I will definitely be looking into these! Thank you for sharing! I have the same method you use--adding a few books whenever we make requests at the library. I listed some of my favorites for Christians in my blog post "Favorite Christian Picture Books for Children" here: http://turning-our-hearts.blogspot.com/2011/10/favorite-picture-books-for-children.html. I also refer to the book "What Stories Does My Son Need?" by Michael Gurian. I'm so glad you shared even more great books for building character!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! Our hope is that this section can be a place for us to collaborate and dialogue together.

If you have a question, or would like a response back, please make sure and leave your email address.

We appreciate your comments!