Sep 30, 2011

Preparing Your Daughters for Dating

By Hank Wilson


Just writing that title makes me nauseous as a father. The fact of the matter is, I'll always be nauseous when it comes to my little girls dating. The real issue is, will they be ready?

I don't actually remember the first time I heard the term "Daddy Daughter Date." I just remember liking the idea from the beginning because:

1. I wanted each of my girls to know how loved and beautiful they are in the eyes of their Dad (and in the eyes of their Heavenly Dad too).
2. I wanted each of my girls to know how a young man should treat them on dates in the future.




So I’ve done these daddy daughter dates with my girls since they were little. We go out for pizza, watch a movie, go to a coffee shop to do puzzles or games, take a walk, or sit at a park. It doesn't have to be elaborate or expensive. We make it one-on-one time, we do things they want to do, and we spend a lot of time talking and getting to know one another.

I want my girls to have a healthy amount of connection, attention, and affection from their Dad. If they don't get it from me, I think studies and pastoral experiences indicate they may go looking for it elsewhere. In a book called Strong Fathers, Strong Daughters, author Meg Meeker says:

Daughters who perceive that their fathers care a lot about them, who feel connected with their fathers, have significantly fewer suicide attempts and fewer instances of body dissatisfaction, depression, low self-esteem, substance use and unhealthy weight. 
A daughter's self-esteem is best predicted by her father's physical affection.  
Girls with good fathers are less likely to flaunt themselves to seek male attention. 
Girls with involved fathers wait longer to initiate sex and have lower rates of teen pregnancy.


Love your daughters well, Dads. In my experience, a daddy daughter date is a great way of showing how much your little girl means to you.

“Don't you see that children are God's best gift?
the fruit of the womb his generous legacy?” Psalm 127:3 TM



1 comment:

  1. Seeing the title of this post in my reader gave me a burst of anxiety! Great post though! Sending the link to Sean! Thanks, Hank.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! Our hope is that this section can be a place for us to collaborate and dialogue together.

If you have a question, or would like a response back, please make sure and leave your email address.

We appreciate your comments!