Apr 16, 2012

lunch box love notes

By Karen Brown

When my two oldest were in kindergarten, their teacher asked that we send notes in their lunchboxes telling the kids what they were supposed to eat at snack and what was for lunch. Apparently, some kids would eat all their food at snack and have no lunch, while some would only eat the fun stuff and never healthier choices. Once the kids were a little bit older and had the snack/lunch routine down, I quit sending the notes, deeming them unnecessary.

But this week my eight-year-old surprised me by asking if I could add notes to her lunch again. I prodded a bit on why she wanted me to send along a note since she knows what to eat (and I didn’t want to embarrass her in front of her friends). She proceeded to tell me she likes to think about her family in the middle of the day. She likes to read that I love her and hope she has an awesome day. She likes the hearts and XOXO’s I usually add to the bottom of the page.

I was surprised that something I hadn’t thought about in two years had made an impression on my daughter. But the more I thought about it, who wouldn’t want to hear in the middle of the day someone loves them? The same way I might text my husband and let him know I miss him and am praying for him. The same way when I get a card in the mail from a friend and my day is suddenly turned around. The same way my kids draw me a picture and scribble “I love you mommy” on it.

There are so many ways to incorporate these small loves notes of encouragement into everyday family life besides just lunch box notes. Send a card by snail mail to your husband’s workplace for an unexpected pick-me-up; write notes on the bathroom mirror if you won’t be around or awake when your family gets up; add post-it love notes to unexpected places (the laptop screen, the sock drawer, inside the hub's favorite coffee mug). Here are some fun lunchbox notes to get you started.






Clockwise from top right:

I love when my kids inspire me to try something new!  
How do you love and encourage your family in little, unexpected ways?

2 comments:

  1. Hi! I just came upon your blog and it is quite lovely! I wanted to add another brand of cards to this discussion--Lunchbox Love Notes from a company called Say Please. Their site is www.sayplease.com I've ordered from there a few times. The cards have very sweet messages on the front that my kids really love.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those Lunchbox notes from Say Please are super cute! My kids would love the added "trivia". Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! Our hope is that this section can be a place for us to collaborate and dialogue together.

If you have a question, or would like a response back, please make sure and leave your email address.

We appreciate your comments!