Apr 29, 2011

Meet: Julie Wilson

By Julie Wilson & Karen Brown

Julie Wilson is married to Hank Wilson, lead pastor of Reunion Christian Church. They live in South Boston with their four kids: son, Trey (11), and daughters Alex (14), Jonah (9) and Andie (7).  She homeschools Jonah and Andie, and homeschooled all four up until two years ago. She has led women’s support groups through the church and loves seeing how God can heal and transform lives. She loves going to the beach with her family, which is a great way for them to relax and reconnect. They love being in Boston as part of a church plant and seeing lives impacted by God’s grace.


Question: Describe your perfect day.
A perfect day for me would be back in Illinois at my aunt’s house. In the summer we all converge at her house and spend our days swimming in the pool, laughing and making new memories. I love being with my three sisters and their families and seeing our kids all play together. Living in Boston has caused me to cherish those days and times with my extended family so much more.


Question: Do you have a specific vision for your family that’s beyond just surviving the day? if so, how do you keep your vision in all the chaos?
My vision for my children is that they will grow up knowing and loving the Lord. I want them each to have a relationship with God that is genuine and active. If they love God with all their hearts, then loving His people should ultimately be a direct result of that. Hank and I pray for our children every day and keep this hope before God and before them. When some days are stressful or challenging, we always come back to this prayer and it keeps us focused on what is important.


Question: What resource most influenced you as a parent?
The book that most influenced me as a parent is a book by Barbara Coloroso called, “Kids are Worth It!” When I was pregnant with Trey, Hank and I saw Ms. Coloroso speak at a conference and were very moved by what she said. We bought her book and it really helped shape who we are as parents. She really teaches parents how to treat children with respect and keep their dignity intact while disciplining them. She helps you to see that your goal should be to teach your children to do the right thing, not for hope of reward or for fear of punishment, but because it is the right thing to do. I highly recommend her book.


Question: How do you pray with your children and help make prayer and connecting to God meaningful for them without it being dictated?
We do pray as a family before every meal and also before bedtime. But we also pray throughout the day as needs or praises arise. If I am driving in the van with the kids and we see an ambulance go by, we pray right then for whoever is sick in the ambulance. This shows the kids that we may not know the details but God does. When my sister recently called to tell us she was pregnant, the kids and I prayed, thanking God for their new, baby cousin and for God’s faithfulness in answering prayers. If you can teach your kids to pray to God at any moment and not just at set times, you can help them to see God as a friend who is always there.



2 comments:

  1. I wanna come raid your bookshelf!

    I hope you get a chance this summer to make it back to IL for a "perfect day"!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice to meet you! Big Families ROCK!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! Our hope is that this section can be a place for us to collaborate and dialogue together.

If you have a question, or would like a response back, please make sure and leave your email address.

We appreciate your comments!